Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Next Big Innovator Could be You!

This week, my group used our discussion leader status to sneak in a "fun" question - What do you wish you could do with technology?
The answers we got were innovative and amazing.  Some of the things already exist, some have not yet been created. I do think that is how most inventions start - with a person who is frustrated by an inability to accomplish something quickly and easily.
Now, with the availability of so many app builders, we can all contribute our little bit to the world.  Code.org introduced me to the MIT App Inventor that was much easier to get started with than the original one I found at the Android Developer Site.  I'm sure the second one has more flexibility and options than the first - but the MIT one comes with an easy to understand tutorial. Mashable has a list of 5 app building options that seem fine at first glance - I will have to update this when I've had more time to "play."
Our ideas do not have to be earthshaking.  Small changes make our lives more efficient and us more effective.
So perhaps boring is actually good. “The most successful ed tech companies among students, teachers and institutions often get ignored by the mainstream media due to a misplaced focus on ‘world-changing innovation’ instead of effectiveness,” said StudyBlue CEO Becky Splitt. (Gannes, 2014)
So, here's to us and our students - the innovators of tomorrow. All because we say, "That darn technology, I wish I could....."




Gannes, L. (2014).  In Education Technology, Startups With Big Impact Tend to Be Rather Simple. Retrieved from http://recode.net/2014/02/28/in-education-technology-startups-with-big-impact-tend-to-be-rather-simple/

7 comments:

  1. Well said Cathleen. This is a very inspiring blog post. I didn't realize that I could create my own app. Maybe I will join you and play along with some of the resources that you have offered or better yet maybe I will challenge my students to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Code.org has all kinds of resources for learning to create apps and coding in general. I love their tools... dislike their philosophy (If you become a computer programmer, you will always have a job.... No, if you learn to program, you will have fun, learn to think and learn failure is merely part of the road to success. If you decide to become a computer programmer, you should be sure that you like to continually learn and update your skills or you will not have a job! There are people who love that (me) and there are people that get tired just thinking about it (a number of my husband's colleagues who don't understand why they need to go to training classes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I did not know there were app creators, all this time I've assumed professional programmers were the only ones that created apps. It's interesting when you learn that there are resources out here to help you understand how to create certain technology on your own, but because they're not highly advertised people are not aware of these applications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's take a closer look at Uber Clone and how it functions. This method will provide us with a summary of the development project. Let's take a look at how Uber managed to capture a significant portion of the passenger taxi market. Uber is a great example of how consumers feel about low-cost transportation. Uber reported sales in the first quarter of 2019.

    ReplyDelete